Thursday, December 11, 2008

44.



I'm back from Miami, to say the absolute least it was an amazing time! I generally hate florida (except Orlando) but, I figured I had never been down for an event of sorts, I've always been there on tour. I hoped to change it. Upon arrival (after getting up at 6am to rush to JFK) we picked up the rental car and checked into our cozy little hotel by the airport. They had a "general store" on the ground floor that was on an honor system. You drop exact money in a little box for whatever item it is that you want or fill in a little slip with your room number. After first glance, we decided our hotel looked like a loonie bin.

After settling in we hopped in our cute little silver box and headed to south beach. We kicked if off at the Tokion magazine party. Met up with the lovely miss Heather and drank some free wine. It was a bit chilly, wind blowing and of course 2 girls from New York going to Miami neglected to bring sweaters or things that may help in a windy or cold situation. We were somewhat screwed but we fought through and pushed on. We later checked out the Aqua Art and called it a night around midnight.

Thursday was full of fun... Io was to speak on a panel about outsiders coming in at 2pm so we woke up, searched for starbucks for about 2 hours then barely got to the Gen Art fair in time.


Post Gen Art/Vanguard we rolled on over to the Theme Magazine party in Wynwood where we met up withLogan & Jeremiah. This was the beginning of us "rolling 13 deep". Its like a snow ball, you keep pushing and pushing and going and going and all of a sudden you're in Miami (where 12 hours before you only knew maybe 2 people) driving around like you grew up there with your 11 new friends.

We rode on over to South Beach where we hit up the Ricky Powell party. An impromptu fashion show with half naked women strutting in bikinis may or may not have happened, a couple drinks... some painting. But the bikini's I think was the highlight of the party. Or maybe the hispanic guy that asked me what my sign was and told me that he needed be to buy him a drink becaue the police stole his bag.

Next stop, Beautiful Decay party - our group got bigger. We went to the Pharell party at Le Baron - an underground club lit up by only red lighting (to make people look beautiful) where we got seated at a table, 3 tubs of assorted beer and a bottle of 10 cane rum. For free.


stollen photo from logan.


After that, there was nothing more than sleep.

Friday I forced Io to take me to the beach. I knew that if we didn't go, we would never make it. It was so beautiful.


Friday night was the Scion party at the Raleigh hotel in the Penthouse. Pretty fancy stuff though they only had one bathroom which if you ask me was pretty silly considering they had an open bar party. None the less, I met a ton of new people and hung out with my crew of 12 until we rolled onto the next stop which was the Obey party. I took a few pictures there but got the memo that Russel Simmons was there and didn't like cameras so I had to put it away.

Next stop was the GenArt party in Wynwood where we stayed for aprox 10 minutes before walking the (way longer than we should have walked) "6" blocks to the next party. Living in New York and thinking about blocks is like a facade. I think 'oh, 6 blocks is not that far at all - thats like walking from the train stop to my work which takes me 5 minutes'. In other cities - blocks have the ability to be almost a mile long. Ugh - it was a stupid choice to walk. I was in heels. It was annoying and kind of chilly. But, we got there - we had to go back to the car to get our ID but - we did finally get to the Nike/ANP party.

At first the music was so loud that we had to all go to the bathroom to get toilet paper for our ears. We had to pay 13.01 for 1 single drink that had 15% gratuity included, at a bar where they didn't serve tap water - only bottle for 6$. It was shit. Terrible... too loud, too expensive I almost thought about suggesting leaving untiiiiiiiiil - Heather saved us and showed us there was free wine & beer in the garden out back where we then accumulated a cabana!


stollen again from logan
.

The boys finally at one point decided to leave us and head back to South Beach for bed when they shut down the garden and we shortly followed but didnt go to bed. We closed the diviest of bars on 14th & Collins called Mac's Duece club. Made it home around 530am. I haven't done that in what feels like forever.

Saturday we dedicated to being art day. So, I'm just going to picture through saturday :





I found these two at the NADA art fair. This is a performance piece they have been working on together since 2006. It is one giant pink crocheted tube. I of course stopped, took photos, took video and asked them a bajillion questions. A link to more info about the super super long pink tube.

Anyway, that basically sums up the weekend, our flight left very early on sunday morning so after one more meal in south beach, we went home to our little insane asylum hotel.

I didn't get much knitting done (obviously). I did start a hat and realized after all the ribbing that it was big enough to fit 2 heads so I had to start over / back on track now.

I have no christmas presents yet other than the 2 dishcloths... I better get on it.

Thats all for now.
Thank god for a day off.
x
-e.

3 comments:

Grace said...

Super jealous of YOU! I would kill to be in Miami for Art Basel. Plus, the weather down there in Miami is sooo much better than it is in NYC now. But I'd take NYC over Orlando any day.

andrea said...

Dude, that seems way awesome. I read about it a little on Vice.

chookie said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! It certainly sounds like you had an awesome time in Miami :D