Wednesday, October 28, 2009

95.

So recently I've had a hankering to sew. I don't really know how to sew but, I figured, if I can knit clothes - I can probably sew them.

A few months back I found this pattern on the Yarnaids blog and kept in the bookmarks section for a rainy day. After months of leaving my sewing machine on the bottom shelf all covered up, I brought it out, dusted it off and made this:


Trying to figure out how to take photos of myself in a dress was kind of tricky but, I managed. The material is some kind of cotton blend that has a little stretch to it. The pleats were the hardest part for me because they kept coming loose after I'd try it on. I went over them a couple times, hopefully they'll stay.


I've worn it out once so far and got a compliment! I'm a little terrified to wash it considering the pleats came loose from me just wearing it, but I think it will hold up ok.

In leui of my success on this top, I decided to try and recreate this shirt from top-shop that they don't carry anymore (sans pocket)


But, with the feel of these tops (and long enough so that I don't neccessarily have to wear real pants under it).



(images from oak nyc)

My boyfriend says I kind of look like an optical illusion and there is a bit more work I need to do to it (seam the collar, seam the bottom/back up an inch or two) but, I am pretty happy with it thus far:



I'm open to suggestion on how to finish this top to perfect it...

Anyway, I have some halloween costume sewing to catch up on.

What is your favorite website to buy yarn from online? Namely chunky yarn? Of good quality?

fin.
ern.
x.


7 comments:

acommonthread said...

both of them look so perfect! i can't believe this is one of your first projects. did you use a pattern for the second one? or just freestyle it?

right now, i'm using cadena yarn from knit picks to make some floor cushions. it's kind of a sturdy yarn, but i've heard that it will soften up after soaking it. i also like shine from knit picks and wanted to try their shine bulky. also, maybe try elann.com i don't think i've tried any specific bulky yarns from there, but they usually have some great deals.

yoel said...

Love the dress, and the pleats look perfect!

Team Knit ! said...

wow, amazing!! I've been wanting to learn to sew, I can use my machine but not well enough to really feel confident to sew an article of clothing yet... but your projects make me want to learn!!

- Julie

craftivore said...

Both of these look fabulous. You could wear a paper bag and it would look chic.

Nettie said...

That is seriously awesome work for a brand new sewer!!!

I love the striped shirt!! I am a stripe girl!

Rima said...

Super cute! I love that green! The pleating detail is just awesome.

andrea said...

I love them!! When you start sewing worlds will unfurl before your eyes; things that were "too big" or "cut weird" at the thrift will suddenly be almost ready to wear!

As for the pleat situation--it sounds like the stitches aren't grabbing all the fabric, so what I would do is: lay everything all flat and sew a seam about 1 cm in (or even less) so all the fabric will stay put. Then maybe zigzag over that. Do you just have a regular machine or a serger as well? When I got my serger it was like happiness and rainbows; everything was suddenly SO EASY. I can't wait to see what else you make!